Wednesday 6 October 2010

Goodbye Biggles

Thank you everyone for your kind words on the sudden passing of our beloved Biggles. It is not often in your life that someone or something comes along and touches your heart with such power that it rends it apart when they leave. He was such an enigma; he could be a right little sod when he wanted to be, but was also the most loving and faithful dog I have ever known. He was always there shadowing me wherever I went – from one room to the other. It was amusing really that he would walk to heel so well indoors but when on the lead that was usually completely forgotten and he would infuriatingly rush ahead.



My Dearest Biggles,

It is now day two without you and there was no silky head with big chestnut-coloured eyes resting on my chest this morning to wish me a good day and that same head will never rest on my leg again, as it did when you asked to go outside. I miss those times as I do everything else about you.

It was almost a century ago in the pages of fiction that your namesake achieved his flying wings. Yesterday, you gained your own, and are free to run where you wish with no fences to hold you in and no lead to hold you back ever again.

I am sorry I could not be there to comfort you as your last breath came, as you had comforted me so many times while you were here. I hope that you will forgive me and know that that part of me that was yours will forever be yours. ‘Parting is such sweet sorrow’; sweet in the anticipation of meeting again one day in some far off place, wherever that may be.

Goodbye for now, sweet little boy.




 

1 comment:

Karl Shuker said...

What a beautiful, moving valediction.